Why is Canada euthanising the poor?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Arnie, May 1, 2022.

1. piezoe

piezoe

And what exactly is wrong with that assuming the suggestion is being made to those whose health is badly deteriorating with no hope of recovery. It's an option, it's not mandatory. And if this is a new option, then yes, the word should be gotten out so that those who are tired of living like a baked potato, entirely dependent on someone else to turn them over when done on one side, can at least know they have another option other than waiting around in pain to die.

The title of this thread is an insult to one's intelligence, as it is apparently intended to suggest to the weak minded that Canada is euthanizing people because they are poor. What total Crap!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    #21     Dec 12, 2022
  2. UsualName

UsualName

In America we actually try to keep you in your home. I’m sure this is very much a case by case basis in Canada though. But Medicare has found it’s more cost efficient to “age at home.” I don’t know what happens when someone needs 24 hour care though.

#22     Dec 12, 2022
    piezoe likes this.
  3. Medicare does not provide any long term care (room and board type) benefits such as basic cost of institutional/facllity living. Medicaid does for income-eligible- as in low-income- persons.

If you are Medicare eligible in your home then that coverage follows you over to any facility that you may move to and it covers your medical costs (to the extent that Medicare pays anyway). It goes with you- no more/no less- than at home.

Can get a little complicated. You might be medicare eligible but cannot pay the 20% that medicare often does not pay in which case Medicaid pays that portion and you are so-called "dual eligible." Obviously applies to disabled but eligible too as many medicare recipients seemingly are these days.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    #23     Dec 12, 2022
  4. UsualName

UsualName

Excuse me it’s called aging in place. Many if not most seniors prefer to stay in their homes. See below…

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/aging-place-growing-older-home

#24     Dec 12, 2022
  5. Oh, pooh. You are dumping basic knowledge.

I was clarifying the piece where you said "medicare has found it's more cost efficient to.."

Medicare does not provide any funding for long term care as I stated. If you are saying "Medicare, the agency, did some generic studies about costs not included in medicare expenditures" then that is fine. Then figure out what you are saying.

#25     Dec 12, 2022
  6. UsualName

UsualName

Look if the gentleman in Canada needs long term care and wants in home services but it is no longer feasible then that is the issue there but here in America we try to keep seniors in home for as long as possible. It’s a win win all around. I’m not getting into the specifics because it turns into “Canada is euthanasing their elderly” right wing nonsense but long term care stays in America have declined significantly in the past couple of decades for seniors.

But yes studies have shown delivering services in home for the elderly is overall cost effective and better life quality.

#26     Dec 12, 2022
  7. Transitioning?

#27     Dec 13, 2022
  8. You wish.

The choices there in MooseDump Village are limited, eh?

#28     Dec 13, 2022
  9. I don't know, man. That's a tell.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

#29     Dec 13, 2022

10. Not much going on there today, in MooseDump Village?

You can always watch the Americans as usual to keep rigor mortis from setting in.

#30     Dec 13, 2022