Why the omicron panic may be overblown...

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Cabin111, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Cabin111

Cabin111

With the market rising today (Thursday)...I am looking a covid sensitive stocks that are rising.

I'm seeing things like; Choice Hotels up 4+%, Sysco up 3%, Boeing up 7.5%, Avis Budget up over 6% on the day, Welltower (retirement communities) up over 4% today.

Whether Omicron is bad or not is still up in the air. But, it seems like the market is not taking this variant too seriously...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    thecoder likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

On the Boeing front, I saw a flash headline this morning that China has approved the 737 MAX to fly again. I am guessing that was a big driver of the move, after it had been so beaten down.

jys78 likes this.
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Today is Thursday but I do expect more volatility for the next week or so until the Covid data is released about the efficacy and effectiveness of the Vaccines against the Omicron Variant.

Plus, there are threats by Russia to Ukraine and a few idiots threatening to cause a U.S. government shutdown about vaccine mandates...the minority 20% controlling the health of the entire population and funding of the government of the entire population. :banghead:

Merry Christmas just in case the world cease to exist as in an Apocalypse as predicted by @carrer.

P.S. Most Pandemics have mutant variants that the world over-reacted...only a mild illness...no big deal. Unfortunately, it was just the eye in the storm before the real storm hit (e.g. 1918 Influenza Pandemic).

wrbtrader

VicBee likes this.
  4. (Not that this is a bear market but) Bear market rallies can be vicious because it's a mix of short covering and actual buying. Most of the time, people aren't selling enough to move prices. Then when those who are looking to get out see that prices is favorable again, they start selling restarting the process.

SPY/QQQ are still in an uptrend, it hasn't yet been broken so this isn't a bear market. But keep in mind that valuations will randomly matter one day and you don't know which day it is.

SunTrader and jys78 like this.
  5. Cabin111

Cabin111

Yeah, made the change...Thursday.

Vaccines against the Omicron variant will not be out for months...Way too late. It seems the market has taken that into account...

6. jys78

jys78

"May" be? LOL. Just another big yawn.

SunTrader likes this.
  7. easymon1

easymon1

There's more where these came from. Bad Bill feamongers about Smallypax and low and behold an UNSECURED freezer in a Merck lab in Penn had several tubes of SmellyPax that had been in 'storage' for DECADES back next to the popsicles and steaks I suppose. If you thought chemists were bad, Biologists are Huge SLOBS.

delete lhne.jpg

8. qlai

qlai

What a brilliant move by the Fed : change policy rhetoric to tightening and blame the market reaction on COVID!

9. zghorner

zghorner

because Covid in general is overblown.

Money Trust and jys78 like this.
  10. JSOP

JSOP

It should. Just because the symptoms produced are "mild" according to this one doctor in South Africa who has observed in this one patient doesn't mean the virus is not dangerous with its high transmissibility and infection rate. The higher infection = higher chance of survival by the virus = higher chance of mutation. It's not the current state of the virus that's scary; it's its future potential mutation that it could change to that we don't even know that's worrisome. Given how slow the process of developing vaccines, by the time when it mutates into something lot more dangerous and lethal, we won't have enough time to develop the vaccines to combat it, then we are all fucked.

So I really feel it's time that we focus on treatment options. Treatment options that target this virus' fundamental characteristics so if we do get breakthrough infections we can still survive.

#10     Dec 2, 2021
    tomorton likes this.