Wow. EU steals 10% of bank deposits in exchange for bailout

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Grandluxe, Mar 16, 2013.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Like any other small country eg Lichtenstein, Monaco, Caymans etc., Cyprus has two main industries tourism and off shore banking if they were to apply haircut to Russian oligarchs i.e. foreign depositors, off shore banking industry will be gone from Cyprus forever, this is one time pain for the future of the country.

#61     Mar 17, 2013
  2. zdreg

zdreg

maybe. but just maybe, it is the domino that topples the euro and then maybe more pain.

#62     Mar 17, 2013
  3. EU paranoia. The end is near.

#63     Mar 17, 2013
  4. Visaria

Visaria

#64     Mar 17, 2013
  5. +

First thing I thought - screw savers to "protect" the banks and "bail them out"...... oh wait

:eek:

#65     Mar 17, 2013
  6. I don't believe Germany(Merkel) is that stupid to force a deal that would topple their own economy?:confused:

I have heard rumors a year ago about a two tier Euro, one for the winners, and tier 2 for the PIGS

#66     Mar 17, 2013
  7. WoodyK

WoodyK

You have that right. What are you doing about it? I'm taking precautions to protect my wealth...

Woody

#67     Mar 18, 2013
  8. DT-waw

DT-waw

what a fantastic opportunity for Swiss National bank to buy some more euros!

I'm 100% certain that now we'll see 150 pips UP move to 1.3100.
    Rally time!
    EU is saved. SNB has the unlimited printing press and will expand its EUR holdings to whatever amount they want :D

If you're a banker, the finances are easy for you.
    Cut peoples deposits by any amount? One decision, done.
    Print 2300 Billion euros? One key stroke and central bank is richer by 2300 billion.

to generate or rob wealth in modern era.... is THAT easy.
    The sheeple have to work hard 12 hrs/day. The bankers just need to say a word and billions are transferred where the desire.

#68     Mar 18, 2013
  9. DT-waw

DT-waw

1.2960 and rising ....i told ya!

euro is the greatest and strongest currency together with swiss franc.
    why? well, who has more buying power: central bankers or speculators?
    i'm not aware of any speculator who can do trades for unlimited sizes !

#69     Mar 18, 2013
  10. the tragedy is they have broken the trust between the fdic and the depositer, in this case the limit was 100k, what happens to you if you have more than the limit is anybody's guess if your bank fails, that's how it has always been.

But this is a broken promise between the insurer and the policy holder.

#70     Mar 18, 2013