You can give someone everything

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Casey30, Jul 29, 2008.

1. dtan1e

dtan1e

so how to cure people who r compulsive spenders?

#11     Jul 30, 2008
  2. I think people need to be educated enough to know when to stand up for their country and stop voting in a bunch of overspending criminals!

And educate people on the money system, but that would cause riots most likely.

#12     Jul 30, 2008

3. From the article

"The finished product was a four-bedroom house with decorative rock walls and a three-car garage that towered over ranch and split-level homes in their Clayton County neighborhood.

The home's door opened into a lobby that featured four fireplaces, a solarium, a music room and a plush new office."

4 fireplaces? And we should feel sorry for them?

#13     Jul 30, 2008
  4. I am such an example. I was not taught about the power of money, and had to learn it through painful experience. Now, we live well within our means.

#14     Jul 30, 2008
  5. As probably the person who most recently graduated from high school on this forum, I'd have to say that there are classes required in Economics.

In those classes they basically say "save save save" as we did a lot of activities with IRA's and how you'll earn $1M more than someone who doesnt save starting from age 18.

That said, they really discourage (or at least we were) of the stock markets and such, because the risk was so much higher than a savings account.

#15     Jul 30, 2008
  6. Nanook

Nanook

A perfect example of what is happening with the current banking crisis: someone (i.e., government/taxpayers), somewhere, will come out the of the blue and dump money on you for your lack of effort, bad decisions or "just because".
    You had a momentary blast, but what did the aspiring young entrepreneurs learn? :confused:

#16     Jul 30, 2008
  7. GTG

GTG

I don't have a link, but I read an interesting article about a study some where in the last few weeks, where researchers tested kids around 3 to 5 years of age I think on their ability to delay gratification by offering them the opportunity to receive a small reward immediately, or wait patiently to receive double as much later on (a few minutes later). Then the researchers checked in with the kids as they grew up into adulthood. The kids who were able to delay gratification in the study, went on to get higher grades on average throughout school and ended up making a higher income on average as young adults. I think the study might have also shown higher amounts of criminality among the kids who couldn't delay gratification, but I don't really remember for sure.

#17     Jul 30, 2008
  8. it could be true, after all you'd expect suffering to pay one way or another at least suffering in the sense of losing today for the gain tomorrow, and patience is a form of suffering and loss

all that said it sucks to be patient, not that I haven't been patient in life but I have only because I had no other choice, and it still sucked

in america and most other parts of the world people brag about how their parents never helped them and they gained their life by working hard and bla bla bla. What is the point? if someone put will into it they too could work hard and most likely get to a higher point in life in terms of wealth or job title, but then they have lost many other things; their youth, their looks (if they fucking had any) and many years they wasted working just to be someone when they get fucking old. But let me tell you what is special, what most others can't obtain, a wealthy and wise father, one who created an unforgettable life for his offspring right from the start, if you did not have this, you can never gain it, not by working hard, nor through patience and neither by praying to that pathetic god. Most humans ignore the fact that the main part of their wealth is what they have inherited not what they have gained, the technology, the tools, the knowledge and what comes as a result of those have been mostly inherited. If wealth in the form of genes, knowledge, and resources could not or was not passed on to the next generation, there never would be growth, there never would be a today, at least not in this crappy universe, and in it's current and retarded form.

what I have learned in life is that; majority of non-wealthy humans have a slavery type of mentality, basically they think that they don't deserve shit unless they work hard to obtain it, regardless of whether this is true or not, it is the mindset of a slave, it seems to be burned into their genes, lol

my point; it sucks to be born into a poor or middle class family, and there is no way to reverse this, and that is the worst thing about it, now one can be patient and work hard for a better future and the other can try to get the most out of today by disregarding the future, in the end in a life that is only around 80 years of pathetic ups and downs, it really doesn't matter if it was down first then up, or up first then down, get a life where it was always up see if you can?

#18     Jul 30, 2008
  9. You had a momentary blast, but what did the aspiring young entrepreneurs learn?

-------------------------------------------

I can only offer my motives. First, I hope he learned that the world can be a great place. They had the motivation to try something, not much of a business risk (they can always drink the lemonade) but it was the intiative that I rewarded (isn't that always the way?). I hope they enjoyed the generosity and pass it on.

#19     Jul 30, 2008
  10. Casey30

Casey30

Therapy. It is an addiction.

#20     Jul 30, 2008