You can stay at this North Pole Igloo hotel for $105K a night

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by dealmaker, Sep 15, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

You can stay at this North Pole Igloo hotel for $105K a night
    By Hannah Sparks

September 13, 2019 | 7:00pm

Enlarge Image
    [​IMG]
    The hotel will pop up in April, when North Pole temps reach a balmy 45 degrees.Luxury Action
    MORE ON:
    TRAVEL
    'We're heading off an emissions cliff': Report reveals worrying trend in airline industry

Influencer called out for editing photos gets hired by editing app

Alien hotspots around the world that aren't Area 51

How to help the Bahamas recover: Go on vacation
    Ever dream of vacationing at the North Pole?

Me neither. But this new luxury lodging at the top of Earth may change your mind — if you can afford the $105,000 (95,000 euros)-a-night price tag.

In April, when temperatures at the North Pole may reach a balmy 45 degrees, North Pole Igloos hotel will pop-up for one month only — featuring 10 heated dome shelters with skylights for stargazing.

Janne Honkanen, founder of travel company Luxury Action, told CNN Travel, “The North Pole has been one of the most exclusive travel destinations in the world for years.” Honkanen’s agency is the brains behind the adventurous accommodations.

“I wanted to create a more comfortable way to experience the North Pole as it is, by bringing cozy facilities to extreme conditions.”

Only about 1,000 explorers a year trek the desolate, uninhabited Arctic. Normally, they’d have to bring a tent along with the many supplies required to survive the hostile environment.

But when intrepid travelers stay at North Pole Igloos, they’ll be equipped with a cozy cabin, en-suite bathroom, an on-site manager, a wilderness guide, chef and even hotel security.

“We provide all of the equipment,” Honkanen added. “But you definitely need to have the spirit of an explorer or scientist.”

SEE ALSO
    upload_2019-9-15_23-15-15.gif
    Global warming causes ultra-rare lightning storms near North Pole

The complete package includes a two-night stay on the island of Svalbard, Norway — the last inhabited stop before reaching your frozen destination — and one night in one of the Pole’s luxurious igloos, along with flights, transportation, meals and tours. Cautious vacationers can add a stay at the company’s five-star lodge, Octola, in the Finnish Lapland region, where they can get extra “training” for their glacial journey.

In anticipation of inclement weather, Honkanen said they built their shelters to be portable, so they can easily relocate to “the most safe places” — which may get more difficult as climate change continues to drastically change the region.

“We see the effects first hand,” he said, adding that he hopes his hotel guests will act as “messengers” to the rest of the world.

“We’re not just providing the experience, we want to spread the word on what’s happening: How the climate crisis affects local culture, local food and the Arctic animals,” Honkanen added. “It’s transformative travel.”

The environmental entrepreneur also assures that his is a “purely sustainable experience,” as they intend to pack up the campsite as soon as the pop-up has ended.

“Everything we bring there, we bring back.”

luisHK likes this.
  2. luisHK

luisHK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barneo

Cool idea but pricey, i used to bé into this kind of Northern adventures and chatted in April on Svalbard with a couple of guys who just came back from the North Pole, they were smoking outside the Lodge in tee shirt by minus 10C, which felt warm to them after trekking 2 weeks to the North Pole. From memory there are a few expeditions available every spring vía Svalbard and Camp Borneo for much cheaper.
    Loved Svalbard btw, and snowmobiling there, in April u already get the midnight sun but 1 month earlier was quite a bit cooler and wilder, with more snow- better to ride a snowmobile but also to catch frostbites

Now in September I feel cold in Madrid - will probably need a couple of years before feeling ready to cross the arctic circle again :(

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    dealmaker likes this.
  3. mlawson71

mlawson71

That is actually a pretty cool idea and something I'd love to do.

4. dealmaker

dealmaker

Hope to visit Longyearbyen sometime soon, I was told Madrid winters can be brutal...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  5. jl1575

jl1575

Say, you have only 105K cash in your pocket/possesion, do you want to go to spend one night at the North pole igloo, or you want to open a trading account with IB?

6. luisHK

luisHK

Visiting Longyearbyen is a great idea, I went there twice and loved it. Enjoyed particularly the snowmobile, snowmobile tours are 4/7 hours long and targeting adults, very different than what I saw in Northern Finland, plus you can rent one full time, including sports models, and just ride it around, the area where tourists are allowed by themselves is already huge, locals don´t like much tourists riding by themselves ime, especially without a gun, but afaik in winter and spring there doesn´t seem to be bears near Longyerbyen, you can get an update on the situation there. Not so sure how I would have liked the place in summer.
    It is (semi)desertic btw, there is very little snowfall, in April already several areas were frozen ice without snow on it, not great to ride on , except maybe if you are well skilled.
    Not sure about the winters in Madrid btw, on paper mornings are cold but afternoon much warmer and very often sunny, but can`t say the weather in September is a great sign. I suspect it is overall OK, just need to readjust to European winters after 5 years without having faced a real winter.

dealmaker likes this.