Yukoner and JSmith discuss - feel free to weigh in

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Yukoner, Mar 6, 2015.

1. J_Smith

J_Smith

Some additional budda like crap :)

CONDITIONING CONSCIOUSNESS

All lack, limitation, and malfunction that touches our lives is carried in our minds, is literally created there because it is a product of our limited and ego-centered consciousness. We stumble because we do nor see, and this condition of not-seeing places the obstacle in our path. Edward Carpenter stated, “It should be as easy to expel an obnoxious thought out of your mind as to shake a stone out of your shoe,” but, alas, it is not so. The obnoxious thought is not a thing of itself, but rather the lack of a thing. Negative conditions are imperfect perceptions. It is when we are not able to perceive that we falter. You simply cannot turn your mind upside down and shake out something that is not there in the first place. The reason the obnoxious thought exists is because the consciousness is too small, and simply does not see

#11     Mar 11, 2015
    damnpenguins likes this.
  2. Yukoner

Yukoner

Thanks @J_Smith

1) Agree with this. I will add that if the brain knows there is risk involved, then it tends to sub-consciously not know the difference between if it is real or sim. Which is why if you want to sim trade beneficially, you still need something at risk imho.

2) Agreed. I completely believe this.

3) Yes, I use multiple time frame analysis in my auction market profile approach.

I would add, I think one needs to be very careful of who they listen to at all. Just because something worked out for one guy giving me advice, doesn't mean the same actions will work out positively for me.
    Just ask all the first time homebuyers who bought houses in 2005 and 2006 on their parents advice, and the history of their parents doing quite well with those purchases.

@J_Smith now my gut is telling me there is something else you wanted to tell me, if so, please share it.

Cheers,
    Yukoner

#12     Mar 11, 2015
  3. J_Smith

J_Smith

There are lots of things I would like to tell you, but as they are based on my experiences they may not benefit you at all, in fact, there are certain things that I have done that a trader should never do, or, to be more precise, one should never trade when they are not in total control. meaning when you get involved in alcohol, drugs, infidelity, etc.

But to ease your mind, I am not saying those who you are posting with are not genuine, in fact some of them seem very genuine.

I will say one important point, to reiterate, and that is that some traders know a lot more than others, and those traders have learned it from other traders, but the amount of traders that have made it big are very few, myself not being one of them, Yet :)

Fact: I know a very good trader who can make loads of money when he trades OPM, but let him at his own account and he just can't do any way near as well. This is a very big problem for those who get to the level of making thousands of $$$ per day, and I am not talking about traders who work in the financial field, I am talking about the ordinary Joe who trades from home.

A few years ago we had close to $9k profit on ES Options over the weekend, and I of course wanted to bank it, but he was adamant if we held out we would make big money, for we had several hundred options contracts purchased and we were looking at profit in the region of a few hundred K $$$ if the S&P 500 bounced within a certain timeframe, as it mite well have done at the time.

I remember the excitement at the time, it was unreal !!!

I think you know what happened next :)

J_S

#13     Mar 12, 2015
  4. Handle123

Handle123

There are two books written by John Hill in 1977/78 for trading, pre-PC, you can tell since all the examples are freehand. Most that have read have said it was either so so or can't understand most of it. I scan those two thin books twice a year, often reading complete. It is amazing the material I have read so often, I sometimes see it in a much different way, I don't ever remember not uncovering something that either changed way I might have one signal, all signals or gave me ideas.

I started in 1978, what I learned in that first year, I now look back thinking I did very well and should have stopped learning, cause the next thirteen years spent trying the re-invent how to trade then unlearning. Somewhere I thought if I just do what others are not doing, I could grab the 95% of the losers losses. I might still believe in finding the "secret" until it dawned to me of why not just tailcoat the huge trading entities. You don't have to be real smart to trade well, you just backtest your ideas and do it as boring as you can.

We all evolve, longer you stay doing, your ideas change, what you once thought trading systems was your "edge", changed to good cup of coffee starting my day is my "edge".

#14     Mar 15, 2015
    Yukoner and fortydraws like this.
  5. Yukoner

Yukoner

I am guessing this is one of them...
    http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Commodity-Market-Trend-Technical/dp/9990322139

#15     Mar 15, 2015
  6. Handle123

Handle123

#16     Mar 15, 2015
    Yukoner likes this.
  7. Blueline

Blueline

Interesting point.....so how do we know that they know?

#17     Mar 16, 2015
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Experimenting with the application of what they provide.

#18     Mar 16, 2015
  9. monoid

monoid

@J_Smith:

In response to YK's comment

@J_Smith now my gut is telling me there is something else you wanted to tell me, if so, please share it.

you said:
    But to ease your mind, I am not saying those who you are posting with are not genuine, in fact some of them seem very genuine.

I will say one important point, to reiterate, and that is that some traders know a lot more than others, and those traders have learned it from other traders....[emphasis added]

Now, instead of beating around the bush, why don't you come out and say what you really want to say: what that "lot more" is, etc. You are not going to offend anyone; remember, we are all here to learn, and any dialog is a good opportunity to introspectively look into one's belief system. So, feel free and shoot. It can only make for a healthy discussion.

I am, for sure, curious to see what you have to say!

Regards,
    Monoid.

#19     Mar 16, 2015
    Yukoner likes this.
  10. J_Smith

J_Smith

Monoid

I will not try to be smart, or belittle anyone, I will say it as it is and people are free to make up their own minds, so let the discussion continue.

A lot more means in relation to knowing exactly what to do, and more importantly, when to do it.

Several years ago, after a good few years trading, I of course thought I knew enough to start taking the easy money, for that is exactly what it is, easy money. As far as I know, it is the only way for beating the few that hold all the power at their own game, i.e, wealth distribution / accumulation.

However, as with all of their other little games, they have of course fooled the populous into thinking anyone can accumulate wealth in the stock market, or any other financial market, which of course the opposite is true.

An example.

Take Europe for instance, where most of the big Governments still allow tax free income on spreadbetting. Now any rational person would ask why is this so, TAX FREE, surely not !!!

The answer is simple if one cares to take the time to look at the books of spreadbetting companies, which of course the tax officials do regularly, and that is the simple fact that the majority of those who trade lose most or all of their money when dabbling in investing or trading.

So, instead of doing away with tax free spreadbetting accounts, they encourage them, for if the same people had share accounts of cfd accounts, they could offset their losses against future capital gains tax, ONCE they declare their loss in the year it happens. You would be amazed how many people do not know this simple fact!

I know most readers are looking for me to say something like, this is how some of those other traders do it, but things are never that simple, as we all know.

I believe one of the first steps to achieving any level of real success, is knowing where and what you are, and that is nothing in the eyes of those who have the power. If one continues to act the fool, then one will always stay a fool - get smart and learn how to learn things of real value, not perceived value, as that is the way they have set it all up.

So for me, I am not afraid to tell myself I am nothing, for I know why I am nothing, that is the big difference for me, that is what will make all the difference - I know this to be true as i have seen it happen.

"Your biggest enemy is yourself"

J_S

#20     Mar 16, 2015