Risk. What is it really?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by marketpugilists, Jun 5, 2021.

1. easymon1

easymon1

#11     Aug 8, 2021
    beginner66 and marketpugilists like this.
  2. Thanks everyone for your various thoughts on the topic. My initial ramblings can be distilled down to what we all know..there is no free lunch pretty much in anything.

So what event would bring down Jim Simmons portfolio? Maybe the market losing 90% value overnight? and does it really matter since everyone else goes down as well. Meanwhile the individual that made a trillion dollars on the vix going to infinity is not without risk if society falls apart and money is worthless.

All bases cannot be covered as some universal law. Every finger stuck in the leaking dike (Dutch boy story) must open a hole somewhere else (seen or unseen). So our existence itself must be a risk.

#12     Aug 8, 2021
  3. deaddog

deaddog

The biggest risk is the trader getting into a situation where he doesn't know what to do.

#13     Aug 8, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. themickey

themickey

Having finger stuck in dyke is like having finger stuck up asshole, not much point to it. :)

#14     Aug 8, 2021
    marketpugilists likes this.
  5. deaddog

deaddog

Depends on whose finger and whose asshole. :)

#15     Aug 8, 2021
    marketpugilists and themickey like this.
  6. %%
    That or staying in a high tax gun hating place.
    I hate to see volume downtrending for many years; but doesnt seem to matter much or increase risk risk in QQQ/TQQQ but seemed to goof URE ??

#16     Aug 23, 2021
  7. deaddog

deaddog

%%
    Oh Canada isn't really all that bad, at least in the rural areas. :)

#17     Aug 23, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. %%
    WELL no wonder d dog;
    the gov owns so much forest land, they dont have to raise much taxes.
    WATCH out for bears+ bear season in the markets + in the south USA starts in SEPT/OCT maybe a bear killer /markets or 4 footed\bearsLOL:D:D:D:D:D:D,:caution::caution::caution::caution:

#18     Aug 23, 2021
  9. I think in any hope, there is a risk involved, in stock or forex or crypto trading, all traders hope to increase portfolio investment, but always risk over there, and all traders I think will learn how to manage the risk, apply risk management plan, etc.

#19     Aug 23, 2021
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

Kudos to all those who speak of risk as something happening.

And NOT of losing X number of dollars. That is the outcome or result of ....... something happening.

#20     Aug 23, 2021