The Life and Times of Harris Kupperman (Praetorian2)

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by retaildaytrader, Nov 10, 2010.

1. You

You

I've been listening to Kuppy's regular visits to The Market Huddle (YouTube).

I've never met him, but from countless interviews with him on The Market Huddle, I get the impression that sometimes he's right, but often he's wrong.

He has a different way of finding opportunities than anybody I know. Seems like there's some golden nuggets in there. A person who I'd love to share a few beers or tequilas with.

I look forward to each of his visits on The Market Huddle. I find him very entertaining.

#21     Aug 22, 2021
  2. WOW, You have TWO HOURS to listen to this guy. You most definitely have a lot of free time!!!

Nah, I have personally met him, back around 2006, when he asked me for a $2M investment for his African Mining Fund (45-minute interview), but just for me, he could lower it to $1M. I passed, and his $100M fund imploded, as in zero, within a year. I do feel terrible for his initial investors (and also for his Mongolia Fund investors, later on). It must have been quite a shock for them to receive that final email, saying I am sorry, it's ALL gone, I am humbled, blah, blah. The Mongolia Fund was his second act, and that is down 98%, and it looks hopeless. How is he paying his bills? Yep, think about that, and think about that hard.

Feel free to go over the information I have posted in the links. Again, I am more than willing to go on the record about this guy. FYI, if this is someone you would want (LOVE!!!) to share beers (AND TEQUILA!!!) with, I do feel quite sorry for you. There are much better outlets for your entertainment needs...

PS. Kuppy has whole new different look. He is reinventing himself!!!

Maybe grab a COLD ONE with @salenanolen?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    #22     Aug 31, 2021
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Are you saying you can't listen to anything while trading?

Also he is just the interviewer here.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    #23     Sep 12, 2021
  4. Not at all. I just don't have the time to listen to this specific person, due to my personal knowledge of his background of failures, that affected a lot of people, negatively.

#24     Sep 12, 2021
  5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Back when Covid was just getting started, like April (2020), I'm pretty sure it was this guy that I heard going on about buying stock in the tanker companies, they were being used to store excess crude and they had raised their rates substantially. I forget all the details about why the trade would work, but I started glancing at those stocks every few days. Whoever it was that said this, and I'm 90% sure it was this guy because that name rings a bell, but whoever it was, was right. Those stocks started climbing like nuts. They're pretty much back to where they started now, but it was in fact a great near term call. I didn't jump in because those companies with their off the chart dividends always scared me. Don't trade what you don't understand right? So anyway, like I said, I'm pretty sure it was this guy. Win some lose some I guess. I'll tell ya what though, if I was reticent about tankers... I'd laugh the guy out of my office if he came to me with Mongolian real-estate. I mean... wtf?! I guess I ain't that worldly. Probably why I let my Marquis Jet card expire.

#25     Sep 12, 2021
    ChipShotTrader likes this.
  6. Kupperman was down 41%, first quarter of 2020. Maybe the "tanker trade" erased some of these losses? Who knows. I just want him to fully explain how he lost $100 Million in his African Mining Fund, back in 2006-2007, then conveniently disappeared for some years, only to reappear in Mongolia!

https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/kuppy-comments-about-spacs.357294/page-2

#26     Sep 12, 2021
  7. I have the market huddle on my list of podcasts to listen to. I just never get around to it with everything else. Perhaps I should at least give the one posted a try tonight.

#27     Sep 12, 2021
  8. destriero

destriero

In his defense; he recovered $5MM from some bets in 2020. His tanker trade was mixed, his AR states a $5MM inv-gain in 2020 but I wouldn't trust that number. I don't think he's got the AUM to support that kind of PNL unless he's marking stuff just stupid. I would trust the guy with lunch money.

His tanker trade post: https://adventuresincapitalism.com/2020/03/19/crude-contango/

#28     Sep 12, 2021
  9. destriero

destriero

To be perfectly clear. I think his marks are complete BS.

#29     Sep 12, 2021
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

His SEC filing says he has 8mm Aum.

#30     Sep 12, 2021