What would you say belongs in a solid trading plan?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by easymon1, Feb 10, 2020.

1. volente_00

volente_00

KISS
    Entry
    Exit
    Stop that is set upon entry
    Objective
    Discpline to follow your strategy
    Patience to let the trade play out
    Belief in yourself
    Belief in the positive expectancy of your edge
    Balls

#21     Feb 14, 2020
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  2. easymon1

easymon1

3. idea, to build a direction. Bookmap, to see if the players are going in that direction

#23     Feb 18, 2020
  4. easymon1

easymon1

5. Hello bone,

Can you please explain what you mean by position management?

For example, if I enter the market long ES 1350.00 and stop at 1348.00, and profit target at 1354.00 and I am trading one contract. I just enter and sit and wait for my stop or profit target to get hit.

How does position management play a roll in my example?

Thanks,

#25     Feb 18, 2020
  6. bone

bone

Position management includes the stop-loss and profit targets as you described above. It should also include a sizing plan. From my years of client work, I have come to the firm conclusion that it's a mistake to assign some fixed amount of capital (you frequently hear one or two percent) to risk on each trade. There's no getting around each person's unique temperament and anxiety levels about risk - I suggest that the trader recognize them, own them, and move on from there. In other words - there's a fair number of people who don't want to risk $1000 on a trade even if they have $50K in their trading accounts. Confidence is very important - if $500 is a more palatable risk number for a person then by all means go with that. I'm also a big proponent of building account equity and not digging a hole for yourself. I work with my clients individually about their own sizing plans, and when to bump up and when to scale it back.

#26     Feb 18, 2020
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

But what if the trader is trading only one contract at a time, and cannot reduce the size of the position?

"After two losses in a row - cut your position sizing in half. When you can manage two winning days in a row - go back to your previous position size..."

#27     Feb 18, 2020
    murray t turtle and bone like this.
  8. bone

bone

One lots are the most difficult - I will readily admit that. You can’t scale down and a bump up doubles your risk. I do some hand holding on occasion.

#28     Feb 18, 2020
    SimpleMeLike and Overnight like this.
  9. Hello bone,

Thank you so much for the response.

Regarding sizing plan. I often read or hear, do not risk more than 2% per trade on trading capital. Are you stating , in your opinion, that there is nothing wrong with risking 5 to 10% if it fits the trader temperament.

#29     Feb 19, 2020
  10. Bone,

How is one lot the most difficult? Just scale up to 2 lot once account balance double.

For example what is wrong with the bottom approach for scale up.

Balance equal $10000 -----> 1 contract
    Balance equal $20000 -----> 2 contract
    Balance equal $30000 -----> 3 contract

#30     Feb 19, 2020